Saturday, May 30, 2009

Phnom Penh II

How hot was it in PP? - the first day at the lakeside I put my book down (in the sun) while I had lunch. When I picked it up the cover came off in my hand as the glue had melted. Quite hot.



One day I visited the S-21 Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum, which is deeply depressing particularly as the KR Trials don't seem to be moving forward very smoothly:

"Unfortunately, existing Cambodian law is weak on the crimes the tribunal is investigating. Worse, the judiciary is one of the world's least qualified and most corrupt. Human-rights groups say it is not an instrument of justice but a political tool. Moreover, Hun Sen and other prominent government figures are themselves former Khmer Rouges and are assumed to remain sensitive about the tribunal's investigations and its targets for prosecution."

I'm not going to say much about the place as others have written about it much more eloquently that I ever could.


Prisoners' clothes left in an old store room (not part of the tour).


Old barbed wire (not part of the tour).


Cells.


More photos here.

Afterward I visited the National Museum for a more positive view of Khmer history. There is so much good in this country, and such wonderful, positive people, despite the poverty and corruption. It's a lovely place, but can be very saddening at times.

J C-R





2 comments: